Saturday, September 19, 2015

Just The Honeymoon Capital, or Is There More?

                                                             Canadian Romance, Eh?
Blog Post by: Kali Willows

Just the honeymoon capital or is there more?


It’s been a busy summer. I can’t believe it’s September already! I’m so far behind in blogs, promotions, edits and writing, but I’ve enjoyed time with my family, and isn’t that what it’s all about?

We have done lots of things, but the one I wanted to post about today, was our trip to Niagara Falls. I’d been there several times over the years to visit family, but in all honesty much to my dismay, short of stopping for a quick view of the water phenomena I had never taken in any of the sights.

Being highly noted as the honeymoon capital, we took a different route. I brought my beautiful children, and left the romance at home, to tend to the domestic responsibilities. (Although, I do have to admit, I got the better end of the bargain.

We did the Hornblower (The Canadian version of Maid of the Mist), the Aerocar over the whirlpool of breathtaking water, the Skyline Tower, one day for the tour, the next night for dinner in the revolving restaurant and so much more. Our feet hurt from three days of walking, but it was an incredible vacation I got to experience for the first time, with my children.

The only attraction I personally found a letdown, was the Canadian tour behind the falls. For a price, a short elevator ride and a walk down an old tunnel, it was a different vantage point of seeing the falls, but it’s not one I will repeat.

Clifton Hill, proved adventurous. Arcades, watching fudge get made, we visited the Hersey factory, the fun houses and the Skywheel gave even more spectacular views to indulge in. Of course, the main reason we went, was for the kids to go to Marineland. I was impressed the costs were not nearly as outrageous as I had expected and the fun was endless.  We played it smart, and went at the end of August, in the middle of the week, while to Toronto CNE was in it’s prime. We had less crowds to contend with and more enjoyment to be had by all.

Although we didn’t do the haunted houses or wax museums, (too much for the little ones at this stage), the very low budget hotel we booked provided a Bates Motel atmosphere with a single electrical socket for three of us to share, and fluctuating water temperatures, that both invigorated and scorched us interchangeably.









What does this post have to do with Canadian Romance you ask? Well, now that I’ve done the ground work, when my sweet husband and I return for an adult only vacation, I know exactly what I want to do…get your mind out of the gutter, I meant what attractions to visit!

Next time, when it’s just us two, I want to book a nice hotel suite on Falls Avenue, preferably one with a cozy hot tub right in the room and within walking distance to everything. Take in a romantic Falls Illumination Evening Cruise, complete with a bar, snacks, night show and fireworks. Then, a stroll along Clifton Hill, and venture into the haunted houses and wax museums, where, if I get a little spooked, my sweetheart can hold me close as we laugh and enjoy the festivities. Perhaps sample the fudge being made in the store front window, and a night time ride on the Skywheel, with maybe a few stolen kisses.




The romance potential is definitely all over Niagara Falls, but so is the family fun. You can’t go wrong no matter what kind of vacation you’re looking for. This Canadian gal is quite satisfied with her trip and plans to return, soon!



Happy Reading!



Canadian living, at its best.





No comments:

Post a Comment