Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Better Late than Never

I know, I almost missed my post day. I was not expecting June to sneak up on me like that, but I'm here now!



And, where the heck did May go? Seriously!

It's a bit of a frantic month for me or any parent really. June is the last month of school. My three kids are counting down the days.

I do like June, because I'm getting tired by now ...okay I am tired right now. Activities are winding down, school is winding down, the kids are winding up! LOL

This June it's slightly different for me. My eldest is leaving public school behind!!! *sob* And as fast as the month of June got here, I'm really struggling with the fact that she grew up in a blink of an eye.



My mother told me when I was a kid that kids grow up fast. I thought she was crazy. No we don't. I couldn't wait to become an adult.

Yeah, once you're an adult time slips away pretty fast.

My daughter started Grade 8 this year and in 17 school days (we don't count the weekends), she's going to walk through those school doors one last time, get her diploma and that's it. She's done with our neighbourhood school. The same school she's been going to since she was four.

In September she's starting Grade 9 and she's excited. I am nervous about this, because she's not going to the feeder high school and therefore get transportation. She set her sights on an out of area school that is downtown London. That has been in the top 10 academically rated schools in Canada as rated by the Fraser Institute. A school that has famous alumni such as Victor Garber and David Suzuki.



When I was in high school, in the dark ages according to my kids, it was Basic, General, Advanced classes. Now, it's Locally Developed, Applied, Academic. This school does not have Locally Developed Courses and it doesn't have semesters. You take all 8 at once. The band is part of life here and my daughter is passionate about band.

Some days she'll be getting up at 5:00 a.m. to get to school by 6:45 a.m.

BUT, it's what she wanted. She filled out the intense application and got her acceptance in February 2017.

I'm having a hard time with it. I'm getting way too emotional and it's only Grade 8 grad. I'll be a complete wreck when it comes to high school and getting into University. My daughter has high aspirations to be an engineer and get a masters in neuroscience. So not my kid. LOL

I was an art student when I graduated high school in 1996.

So this hectic June is slightly different. It's bittersweet, because I'm so not ready for my kid to grow up.



You can find Amy lurking about on Twitter or Facebook.
Check out her website here.


No comments:

Post a Comment