Saturday, February 18, 2017

Say "Hello" to my Little Friend by @elle_rush



I don’t think anybody is going to call Scarface a romance, but Tony Montana does have a point.

The only thing I may like more than diving into a big, fat, juicy romance could be diving into a novella for a quick happily-ever-after fix. I’ve met some of my best friends that way.

Lora Leigh was one of the first romance writers I discovered. I read everything. Then I tracked down one of her novellas in “The Magical Christmas Cat”. Since I already had the book, I continued reading and found a quick story by Nalini Singh. The novella was just long enough to give me a taste of her writing style, and I fell in love with her Psy-Changeling world. I’ve since read the entire series. Then my good buddy Lora had another novella in “Must Love Hellhounds” and I discovered another of her fellow authors, Charlaine Harris (before True Blood was a TV series), and I read all her books.

Novellas (and short story collections) are awesome. They’re like a coffee date. It’s not a full commitment. You’re simply taking a little time to check each other out. If you like each other, then you can invest in a full meal of a novel.

They’re also great for busy people. Between work, and taking care of children and parents, and running to hockey practice and volleyball tournaments and piano lessons, and doctor’s appointments, a lot of readers simply don’t have time to invest in a four-hundred page novel. It takes so long to read that it’s hard to remember the characters and the various plot threads. A quick read that they can knock off in a couple days is the perfect solution.

For the budget-conscious, they’re also usually cheaper than novels, which minimizes the risk of trying a new author.

I had a novella in the Crazy Cat Ladies collection, which I’ll be re-releasing it in 2017. In the meantime, feel free to check out Dominican Stars, my latest Resort Romance short.

***



All Julie Beresford wanted was a vacation fling, something to distract her from the most important decision of her teaching career. What she gets is a man who not only captures her heart but pushes her to face her fears.

Contractor Dennis Wilson is supposed to be on a father-son bonding trip, but after that turns into a solo vacation at the last minute, Julie is an intoxicating distraction from the disappointment.

When his son arrives unexpectedly, Julie’s presence throws a spanner into an already tense situation. Can Dennis salvage both relationships, or is one doomed to break?

No comments:

Post a Comment