Friday, May 16, 2014

Living in the country Canadian Style ~ It's not all open spaces ~ Jessica E. Subject #romance

For four wonderful years of my life, I lived out in the country. I'm not talking wide open spaces with nothing but fields and road for miles. No, farming in Southwestern Ontario is a bit different. I don't know of any ranches in the area. Most are small, family-run farms that raise chickens, pigs, or cows (beef or dairy). There is the occasional horse stable, and I've even seen emu and elk farms. But, there is no cattle drives. Maybe out West in the Prairies, but not around here. Those who do work on the farm still do wear cowboy boots and hats, but it's more for going out than for cleaning stalls and milking cows. We do have rodeos around here ~ Milverton Rodeo ~ But it's not as big as the Calgary Stampede.

Fall is so beautiful out in the country.

Out in the country, I saw new bugs I didn't even know existed (pseudoscorpians and woolly aphids), chased a pheasant down the road when I was pregnant (they run like the road runner), and learned to sleep through mice running through the walls (yeah, I learned to use mouse traps, too).

The pheasant is in the middle of the picture.

I also learned a lot about dairy farming that I would have never known living in the city. No, I don't think I could work on a dairy farm, but my husband did. And with his help for research, I wrote ACCIDENTAL ROMANCE based on my years living in the country, and stories from friends and my husband.


Accidental Romance
The Challenge series

By Jessica E. Subject

Contemporary Western New Adult Romance

ISBN: 978-1613334607

At twenty-two, Leanne Declan has graduated from college and hopes to take over the family farm until a tragic accident changes her life forever. Unable to do the simplest everyday chores, she must depend on her family and friends as she learns to face life’s challenges. But when her fears threaten to destroy her future, can an unexpected love be strong enough to help her dreams come true?

Available from:



Enjoy an Excerpt:

Leanne ducked, trying to avoid the apple flying toward her. With its speed, it stirred her hair, but she avoided contact. Instead, the fruit smashed against the wall then fell to the floor, a mess of brown pulp and skin. She stood and glared at the source of the flying object. “Jake, you’re such an ass.”
He grinned at her from across the milking parlor, tossing into the air another rotten apple he must have grabbed when he put the cows out to pasture. “You’d better be nice to me, LA, if you want me to do your chores tonight.”

With a huff, she rolled her eyes. “Whatever. I wasn’t the one who threw fruit at your head.” She cursed him several times a day for such pranks. Often he’d tossed her in the manure pile or turned the pressure hoses on her. He lived with his family down the road, and if their parents weren’t such good friends, she would have told her father to fire Jake years ago.

“What do you have planned for tonight anyway?” He sauntered toward her, gripping the other apple so hard, she expected pulp to squeeze between his fingers. “Going out with your boyfriend?”

She cringed, hating how he mocked her with the word. “Jealous, much?”

Taking a step back, he scowled. “You wish. Why should I care who you date? You’re a grown woman.”

“I’m glad you noticed.” She reached down for a piece of straw and poked him in the chest with it. “So, why is it such a problem?”

He shrugged his shoulders, his expression suddenly indifferent. “I think you can do better.”

She poked him again. “What, like you?”

He leaned closer, his face only an inch from hers. His musky scent overpowered the sweet stench of the barn and filled her senses. If he hadn’t been a constant pain in her ass, she might have thought he was going to kiss her.

“In your dreams.”

Should have known. She chuckled and tapped his cheek a couple times with her palm. “I can honestly say you have never been in any of my dreams. Not even my nightmares. And if you must know, I’m going out with my friends from college.” She spun around and called over her shoulder. “Tomorrow I’ll be with Scott.” 

She headed out of the barn. A field of wheat waited for her, and she had to harvest it before she went out.


About Jessica E. Subject:

Jessica is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous.

When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.

Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.



No comments:

Post a Comment