Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Greetings from the West Coast by @SHayesRomance

Hi!

I’m Susan Hayes, and I’m one of the new authors invited to join the Romance Eh, blog this year. I’ve lived my whole life on B.C.’s west coast, and most of that time I’ve called Victoria my home. Yes, I’m an islander, born and raised. We’re a unique breed, considered a little quirky even by west coast standards. Part of that uniqueness comes from the fact we live in one of the only parts of this vast country that doesn’t experience a true Canadian winter.

Snowfall warnings here are likely to incite citywide panic, and at the first sight of actual flurries, the city shuts its collective doors and flees for the safety of our homes. That’s what’s going on today, as I write this blog. There’s a chance of flurries in the forecast, and as a result, the city has gone quiet. Everyone is staring up at the clouds, waiting for the first dreaded flake to appear.

This was the view from my parent’s window on Christmas Day. Technically, it was a white Christmas by Victoria standards. (If you look closely, there are a few patches of white in all that green…really!)


Christmas quail - No, we didn't show them what we did to the turkey...



While everyone else in town was preparing for snow, I’ve been putting the finishing touches on my new book, Wild Card, Book #3 in my sci-fi romance series, The Drift. *cue trumpets and dancers cavorting in celebration.* I write across a few genres, including contemporary and fantasy, but deep down I know my favourites are science fiction and paranormal romances. Just, don’t tell the other genres, I don’t want to hurt their feelings!

According my dad, it’s all my mom’s fault that I am a geek. She had me watching the original Star Trek before my eyes could even focus properly, and the year Star Wars came out, the only Halloween costume I wanted was Princess Leia. I grew up watching and reading everything I could about alternative worlds and possible futures where magic was real, and a princess could still be a badass with a laser gun. These days, I get to tell my own stories, and one of the many things I’ve carried with me is a love of strong heroines. Women from all walks of life who aren’t afraid to do what needs to be done instead of waiting for the hero (or in some cases, heroes) to save them.

If you’d like to check out one of my heroines: Double Down,  Book one of the Drift Series is free right now: 





See you next month, and until then, stay warm, be happy, and take time to read!

Happy reading,

Susan




Susan lives on Vancouver Island, off the Canadian west coast where the waters are patrolled by orcas and the sighting of snowflakes leads to citywide panic. She’s jumped out of perfectly good airplanes on purpose and accidently swum with sharks on the Great Barrier Reef.

If the world ends, she plans to survive as the spunky, comedic sidekick to the heroes of the new world, because she’s too short and out of shape to make it on her own for long.



1 comment:

  1. I love it! I'm so ready for "Wild Card." This is an awesome series!

    ReplyDelete