Thursday, January 26, 2017

How many days till summer?

I detest winter... cold, short days, more cold, snow. Blech. Man, do I hate being cold.

But, there are times with the sun comes out, reflects off the pristine layer of fluffy snow and the world glistens.
It can be beautiful,
                looking out from inside,
                          when it's a snow day and I don't have to go to work
                                      and I can stay in leggings and a t-shirt all day and write.

But, this year has been much warmer than normal...meaning no snow and lots of rain. The short days feel even shorter because I swear we have been under a thick layer of clouds for weeks now. Everything is grey. and I can feel my body and mind getting more and more sluggish.

That's when know I have to fight back. My brain is not a happy place right now, which means a trip to the Fake'n'Bake  (tanning bed). Laying there nice and toasty warm with bright lights all around me while I imagine I'm laying on a beach somewhere really helps my mood.

I also bake because try to stay in a bad mood when you munching on a warm brownie fresh from the oven. You can't do it. :)

One of my favourite recipes is my Banga's Lemon Bars.  If you ever wondered what sunshine tastes like, here's your chance.  I've made these so many times and they're perfect for this time of year.

My recipe card is starting to show it's age. LoL I wrote this out in my late teens.
Yes, I called my grandmother Banga. It's not a cultural thing, it's a name I made up while I was learning how to talk. She loved it, so it stuck. LoL Eccentricity is  genetic ;)

If you have a favourite recipie and are willing to share, please put it in the comments. I'd love to try it :)



Banga's Lemon Bars

2cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup soft margerine (or butter)
1/2 cup fine white sugar

Combine ingredients and press into the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.
Bake for 20 min at 350deg
~~~~

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups fine white sugar
dash of salt
5 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon  juice and zest from two lemons

Wisk together eggs, sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest

Combine 1/4 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.

Pour combined mixture over the warm base

Return to the oven for 25 minutes

Allow to cool, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment