Friday, May 12, 2017

A tribute to my mom and all of our household of pets. #MothersDay #PetsInSpace @jsubject


This Sunday is Mother's Day in North America, a day where we celebrate all of the love, support, and sacrifices of our mothers, or the woman who has helped to shape our lives. And I've decided to write this month's post as a special tribute to my mother.


Growing up, she didn't teach me about fashion, how to wear makeup, or even how to braid hair. But the life lessons she did teach me proved far more important. I learned how to love, how to accept others, regardless of their differences. I learned how to be open-minded and selfless, and how to work hard.

I also learned her love for pets. For as long as I can remember, we have always had multiple pets in our house. Usually at least one dog, one cat, and some fish, we have also had hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, and various small birds. After I left home, she had hedgehogs. And I heard stories of her having a toucan and various reptiles when she was a child.

My mom and I used to work together at the same pet supply store.
And she was about to become a grandmother.
After my brother and I were in school, she gave up babysitting to work at a pet store. And she's worked with animals since then, not only selling pet food and supplies, but grooming cats and dogs, and training dogs. She is so proud to have helped train dogs for deaf clients, and will soon be certified to train dogs for therapy.

She was also very involved in the Ontario Cavy Club. Yes, just as there are dog shows, there are also shows for guinea pigs and rabbits. I learned a lot about genetics during that time, as well as many other life lessons.

So, when I was asked to write for the upcoming Embrace the Romance: Pets in Space 2 anthology, I had plenty of pet experience and information to draw from.

To my mom: I love you! Thank you for being you, and allowing me to be me! <3



Jessica E. Subject is the author of science fiction romance, mostly alien romances, ranging from sweet to super hot. Sometimes she dabbles in paranormal and contemporary as well, bringing to life a wide variety of characters. In her stories, you can not only meet a sexy alien or two, but also clones and androids. You may be transported to a dystopian world where rebels are fighting to live and love, or to another planet for a romantic rendezvous.

When Jessica is not reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to go to fitness class and walk her Great Pyrenees/Retriever her family adopted from the local animal shelter.

Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. http://jessicasubject.com



No comments:

Post a Comment